I just recently learned a term by a mentor of mine and I wanted to share it with you as I believe it is an important one. The term kaizen derives from Japan and it’s literal meaning is “constant improvement.” Constant improvement…what does that mean? Improve in business? In my relationships? No, it doesn’t give one aspect of life more importance over the next (although most people weigh others differently) kaizen refers to constant DAILY improvement in ALL aspects of life.
I like that.
Think about it for a second… what do you think would happen if you got just 1% better in your the different areas of your life? Okay lets slow down, your work life. What would happen if you worked to get just 1% better? You think your boss would notice? If you did this continuously over the next 6 months the improvement rate would get higher and higher, your value to the company would get higher and higher, then naturally your income would get…yep, higher and HIGHER! Boom. Mind blown.
Lets take another scenario. Your relationships (one of my highest weighing aspects). What do you think would happen if you put 1% more effort into your relationships? The intimacy and the deepness would grow, your happiness would grow, and your life would find new meaning and connection with the ones you love most! AWESOME!
PS: If you do not have any solid relationship with family or a loved one…get a dog, a cat, a FISH even. Something. I used to be the girl who didn’t have any attachments and my family lived hours away, it seemed nice, but it gets lonely…don’t hide from it, IMPROVE from it.
Here are a few helpful tips how to get 1% better DAILY: (in case you are stumped)
- When you are with loved ones, DON’T be on social media. Give them your time, eyes, and attention.
- When you are in a meeting at work, take notes on what the boss is saying. Take one idea from it and run with it, even if its small or you have to go out of your way to do it. Trust me, the boss will notice.
- On your daily routine, give me 10 Jumping Jacks, 10 Squats, and 10 Push-ups when you FIRST wake up. It gets your heart rate and metabolism going plus gives you a burst of energy before even leaving the house!
- PUT DOWN THE DONUT. Pick up a piece of fruit. JUST DO IT.
- This weekend, go somewhere you have never been with a cherished person in your life. I just went to LACMA to see the Urban Light’s with my boyfriend and it was magical. Little things like this bring you closer to people and get you out of your norm. The human brain NEEDs that.
- Grab a book and read it. At least a page a day. It can even be one of those “A Page a Day” kind of books. Anything.
- Write down your list of Life dreams. It can be as silly as owning a bunch of Guess shoes (Don’t laugh at me) or as big as seeing the 7 continents. I don’t care, I won’t judge. In fact, no one will. Because this list is for you. Write them down, don’t show anyone if you don’t want to. BUT, you need to promise me you will READ them everyday. Seriously, EVERYDAY, until they start coming true. Then write a new list.
Remember, we are not going for a crazy big difference all at once. All you need is 1%. that’s not too hard right? you can give your life 1% more. I know you can, because I believe in you.